Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Bus: Despair and Glimmering Hope

There it is! “Wait, Sir, please!” I begin to run with all the energy I stored up during my slightly- too- lengthy sleep the night before, like an unleashed, fully-cranked wind-up toy. Then comes the sound of indescribable agony. The tires begin to rub against the asphalt, the exhaust begins to exhale its putrid fumes, and then, my heart pounding like a bongo drum played at allegro tempo, it’s gone. I hear the whining of its engine as it sails down Red River, just out of my reach: there it went. Then the sinking spiral of depressive realization begins to set in: I missed the bus--it’s all over-- I’m late for class--what a failure. I start to trudge to the bus stop breathing heavily and collapse on the seat, sinking my head in deep shame. But wait: all those sounds that I was just dreading seem to come alive again, this time bringing brightness, joy, and hope. There, as I turn to my left, is another regal bus, ready to take me onward, looking past my defeats toward the future. I see the horizon, the light at the end of the tunnel, dispelling all my darkness, and I board my coach full of gratitude. And inwardly, in place of all the depressive feelings is the reassuring sentiment of peace: better late than never.

2 comments:

  1. This piece rather effectively describes the feeling of helplessness and frustration that comes with having to deal with Austin's Capitol Metro service (which does suck). The author helps bring this to life by using melodramatic sentences and metaphors like "my heart beating like a bongo drum played at allegro tempo" (which, as a former band student, I found worthy of a chuckle). These sorts of metaphors and overreactions ("I...collapse on the seat, sinking my head into deep shame") help evoke a humorous tone in the piece, and balances the both metaphors and language masterfully. If the ending was drawn out into an even more excessive display of emotion - a "hallelujah!" moment, so to speak - this enargeia would be a prime example of humor done right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew, here, describes something that happens to everyone—waking up too late and missing the bus. I probably do this on a weekly basis, so I could easily relate Andrew’s experience, albeit that I do not dramatize sleeping in so profoundly as the writer does in this piece. The melodrama that Andrew employs in this paragraph makes this small, seemingly life-changing event almost insignificant. His message was clear: don’t sweat the small stuff, everything will be okay. By turning this event into a farce makes this paragraph an enjoyable and light-hearted read.

    ReplyDelete